Ir al contenido principal

PHRASAL VERBS


http://efltheatreclub.co.uk/index.php?p=1_12


file:///C:/Users/ggali/Downloads/phrasal_verbs_list.pdf

http://fi.ge.pgstatic.net/attachments/1f910bee70c94df793ea86f426e7030d.pdf

---------------------------------------------------

Phrasal Verb: Move in

Move in

Meaning: Start living in a place
Example: The house was empty for ages, but some new tenants MOVED IN a few weeks ago.
Notes:
  • Intransitive Help
  • International English
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Phrasal Verb Short Story



An Imperfectly Perfect Day


When I set off for work this morning, my car broke down, so I ended up taking the bus. As soon as I got off, I bumped into an old schoolmate, Mark. While we were talking, he brought up something I had already found out from some mutual friends- that he had come into some money and had set up his own business. He told me that there was a lot to sort out, and offered to take me on, but I turned him down straight away.
[widgets_on_pages id="Subscribe"]
When I clocked in, my boss had a go at me, telling me off in front of everyone. When I got over the initial shock, I told her I’d make up for being late, but it turned out that she had blown up over a deal that had fallen through, after a client of mine had pulled out of a contract. She told me that I wouldn’t get away with it, that I’d let everybody down, and just went on and on….
Eventually, I ran out of patience and answered back– I said I was not going to put up with it anymore, and if she wanted to lay me off, she should go ahead. Anyway, to cut a long story short, I stormed out, phoned Mark’s secretary, who put me through to him. I told Mark I’d like to take him up on his offer. So, in the end, everything has worked outperfectly!
http://profesornativogratis.com/phrasal-verbs-1/


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For each space in each sentence, use the verb Put (in the correct tense) with one of the prepositions from the box. Sometimes you need to put the object/pronoun between the main verb and the preposition - in these cases, the object/pronoun can be found in the brackets.

Down
Off
Out
Up with
Aside
Down
Down
On
Through
Forward
Across
Away

1. We had to have our favourite cat  last week. It was too ill and was suffering terribly.
2. I like this cake but don't give me too much or it'll just  (me) completely.
3. Why don't you treat me with respect and not spend so much time  (me)?
4. You don't  your point very well in this paragraph. I think you should rewrite it.
5. My son really  (us) hell when he was about 15. Always in trouble with the school and the police. Now he is an absolute angel.
6. But in those couple of years, I just couldn't  him!
7. He confessed to the murder and the judge  (him) for twenty years.
8. James  the idea of selling the shares so he should get the credit, not me.
9. It was my boss who  the story about me being pregnant. I am not and I don't know why he did that!
10.  a little money every week and you will soon have enough to buy the new bicycle you want.
11. I have  five kilos since Christmas! I can't believe it. It's a diet for me.
12.  (me) as "Don't Know" for the party on Saturday and I'll let you know for certain tomorrow.

http://www.esl-lounge.com/student/phrasal-verbs/4pv23-put.php

https://www.thoughtco.com/phrasal-verbs-with-put-esl-quiz-4074175

http://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/definition/english/put-in_2

https://www.usingenglish.com/reference/phrasal-verbs/put+on.html

https://www.ecenglish.com/learnenglish/lessons/phrasal-verb-put

http://www.shertonenglish.com/resources/es/phrasal-verbs/phrasals-put.php

http://www.myenglishpages.com/site_php_files/grammar-lesson-phrasal-verb-definition.php?d=115

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

10 English Phrasal Verbs With PUT

#1 – Put Away

= place an object in its proper location
Here are your clean clothes – please put them away.(put them in the closet, in the dresser, etc.)

#2 – Put Back

= return an object to the location where it came from.
The opposite of “take something out”
After you’re done using the dictionary, put it back.
(put it in the bookshelf, in the location from which you originally took it)
English Phrasal Verbs - Put Back

#3 – Put Down

1. To write on a piece of paper (sometimes we just say “put” without “down”)
  • I’m making a shopping list. I already put down bread, cheese, and butter – what else do we need to get?
2. To criticize and humiliate
  • Every time I try to add something to the conversation, my brother puts me down by saying my opinions are stupid.
3. To kill an animal that is sick, old, suffering, or dangerous
  • When our cat got cancer, we decided to put her down.

#4 – Put Forth / Put Forward

= to offer an idea, plan, or proposal for consideration
I’d like to put forward a suggestion or two.
English Phrasal Verbs - Put Forward

#5 – Put Off

1. To delay doing something, procrastinate
  • I’ve been putting off this assignment for the past week; I just can’t seem to get started!
2. Make a bad impression, make somebody repulsed or disgusted
  • She seemed unfriendly. Her attitude really put me off.

#6 – Put On

1. Start wearing or using (clothing, accessories, makeup)
  • She put on her boots and got ready to go out in the rain.
2. Produce a show or performance
  • The local theater company is putting on “Romeo and Juliet.”
3. (slang) Trick or deceive someone
  • You won the lottery?! No way… you’re putting me on, right?
    (another similar expression is “You’re kidding”)

#7 – Put Out

1. Extinguish (a fire or cigarette)
  • The firefighters quickly put out the fire in the apartment building.
2. Publish (usually a regular or frequent publication)
  • The organization puts out a monthly newsletter.
3. Inconvenience someone
  • Is it OK if I arrive early? I don’t want to put you out in any way.

#8 – Put Through

= transfer or connect somebody on the telephone
The customer service representative couldn’t help me, so he put me through to a manager.

#9 – Put Somebody Up

1. Give somebody a place to stay at your home
  • Don’t worry about finding a hotel – I can put you up for a few days.
2. If you put somebody up to something, it means you encourage or persuade the person to do something
  • My son is normally very well-behaved, but his friends put him up to playing a prank on the teacher.

#10 – Put Up With

= tolerate; accept an annoying situation or behavior
I can’t put up with all the noise in the dormitory – I need a quieter place to study.


https://www.espressoenglish.net/10-english-phrasal-verbs-with-put/

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Phrasal verb: Turn (Around, on, off, up, down)

Nueva ronda de phrasal verbs. Turno para los más importantes que se pueden crear a traves del verbo “to turn”. Mi favorito sin duda, es el de “turn on”, para los que no lo conozcáis, echadle un vistazo y… 😛
turn-around
Turn around
Significado 1: Dar la vuelta. Es un phrasal verb separable.
Signifcado 2: Mejorar algo que no funciona o va mal. Es un phrasal verb separable.
Ejemplos:
  • Turn around, I want to see your back.
  • He turned my life around.
  • Let´s turn around, it´s getting late.
  • Wee need to turn the score around.
  • We would rather turn around.
turn_around
Turn on
Siginifcado 1: Encender algo (que tenga un botón de encendido). Es un phraasal verb separable.
Significado 2: Excitar, ponerse caliente. Es un phraasal verb separable.
Ejemplos:
  • Turn on the laptop.
  • You were lost, you didn´t turn on your GPS.
  • You´re turning me on.
  • It turns automatically.
  • Piercings don´t turn me on.
turn_on_your_mind_now_by_asyamsc-d3ijpip

Turn off
Significado: Apagar algo (que tenga un botón de apagado). Es un phraasal verb separable.
Ejemplos:
  • Turn off the laptop.
  • You didn´t want to turn it off.
  • You turn me off.
  • You don´t have to turn it off.
  • Her breathe turned me off.
turn_off
Turn up
Significado 1: Subir el nivel de algo. Es un phraasal verb separable.
Significado 2: Aparecer. Es un phraasal verb separable.
Ejemplos:
  • Turn up the volume.
  • You always have to turn it up.
  • I can´t hear it, turn it up.
  • They waited for half an hour but they didn´t turn up.
  • We always turn up.
    turn_up

Turn down
Significado 1: Bajar el nivel de algo. Es un verbo phrasal separable.
Significado 2: Rechazar a alguien o algo.
Ejemplos:
  • Turn the volume down.
  • Could you turn it down a bit more?
  • We turned down the schedule.
  • I turned down the job offer.
  • Did you turn it down?
turn_down_idiom

http://eingleses.com/2013/11/27/phrasal-verb-turn-around-on-off-up-down/
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.shertonenglish.com/resources/es/phrasal-verbs/phrasals-turn.php

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


'Turn on the TV.'
Let's help to build your vocabulary by looking at 11 phrasal verbs that use the word turn:

Turn Down

Turn Down: to lower the volume.
'The TV is too loud. Can you turn it down?'
Turn Down: to refuse or decline a request.
'My credit card application was turned down by the bank because of my bad credit.'

Turn In

Turn In: to submit something.
'All students are expected to turn in their homework at the end of today's lesson.'
Turn In: to go to bed.
'I'm tired to stay up. I think I'll turn in.'

Turn Into

Turn Into: to change into something different. To transform.
'Ben is a nice guy until he drinks alcohol. He then turns into a monster!'

Turn Off

Turn Off: to stop a machine or device from working/performing.
'Turn off the TV if no one is watching it.'

Turn On

Turn On: to start a machine or device. The opposite of turn off.
'My father is terrible with computers. He can't even turn one on!'

Turn Out

Turn Out: audience members, spectators or participants at an event.
'People turned out in huge amounts for the opening night of the movie'.
Turn Out: in the end.
'I looked for my keys all over the house. It turned out they were in my jacket pocket all along.'

Turn Up

Turn Up: to increase the volume.
'I love this song. Someone turn up the radio.'
Turn Up: to find unexpectedly.
'I hadn't seen her for months and then, one day, she turned up at my house.'


https://www.ecenglish.com/learnenglish/lessons/phrasal-verb-turn
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------





10 English Phrasal Verbs With TURN


TURN AROUND

turn-aroundChange direction and go/look the other way:
(while driving) “We’re going the wrong way. We need toturn around.”
Can also describe when a failing company/project/process starts to become successful:
“The new director was able to turn the school around – it went from being the worst school in the area to one of the top-ranked schools in the entire country.”

TURN AWAY

Not allow someone to enter a place:
“You have to be 21 to enter the club, so my 19-year-old cousin was turned away at the door.”

TURN DOWN

turn-down1. Decrease volume or heating/air conditioning:
“Could you turn the music down, please? It’s too loud.”
2. Not accept an invitation or offer (can be used for romantic dates, job offers, etc.):
“He asked her out to dinner, but she turned him down.”
“I can’t believe he turned down a great job at a bank in order to try to be a writer!”

TURN IN

1. Give an assignment to a teacher or supervisor:
“My son needs to turn his research paper in on Thursday.”
2. Go to bed:
“I’m exhausted. I’m going to turn in early tonight.”
3. Deliver someone who committed a crime to the police:
“The drug dealer was turned in by his own mother.”

TURN INTO

Become:
“Caterpillars turn into butterflies.”

turn-into

TURN ON

1. Start a machine, light, or electronic device:
“When I get to work, the first thing I do is turn on my computer.”
2. Turn (someone) on = make the person sexually aroused:
“He says that girls with long legs really turn him on.”

turn-off

TURN OFF

1. Stop a machine, electronic device, or light (for lights, we can use TURN OFF, SHUT OFF, or TURN OUT; for machines, only TURN OFF or SHUT OFF):
“Time to turn off the TV – you’ve been watching for the past three hours!”
2. Turn (someone) off = make someone lose interest, make someone dislike something (may be sexual, but not necessarily):
“It turns me off when my boyfriend tries to hug me when he’s all sweaty.”
“I don’t like that design at all. The bright colors just turn me off.”

TURN OVER

turn-over1. To invert:
“Cook the pancakes for 3 minutes on one side, then turn them over.”
2. To transfer something to someone in authority:
“During the investigation, the police asked the company to turn over all their financial information.”

TURN OUT

1. Same as TURN OFF or SHUT OFF for lights:
“When she finished her book, she turned out the light and went to sleep.”
2. Have an end result (especially a surprising one):
“I thought I was unqualified for the job, but it turns out that the company provides training – so previous experience isn’t necessary.”
“We thought the project was going to be a miserable failure, but everything turned out all right in the end.”

TURN UP

1. Increase volume/temperature:
“Turn up the volume on the TV – I can’t hear anything.”
2. Appear:
“The manager finally turned up for the meeting – 45 minutes late.”

https://www.espressoenglish.net/10-english-phrasal-verbs-with-turn/
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Turn up

Subir el volumen o la intensidad de algo.
Could you turn the music up? I can’t hear it.

Turn down

Bajar el volumen o la intensidad de algo.
Could you turn the TV down? I’m trying to study.

Turn around

Dar la vuelta a algo que es vertical.
That dress looks great on you! Turn around so I can see the back.

Turn over

Dar la vuelta a algo que es horizontal.
The hardest part of making an omelette is turning it over.

Turn out

Resultar.
Quitting my job turned out to be the best decision I ever made.

Turn back

Dar la vuelta para volverse atrás.
It’s getting late. We should turn back if we want to be home before dark.

Turn on / off

Encender / apagar.
I turned off the light and turned on the computer.

Turn away

No dejar entrar alguien en un sitio. Se usa con países, discotecas, etc.
I didn’t have the proper documents, so I was turned away at the border.

Turn into

Transformarse en algo.
The caterpillar turned into a beautiful butterfly.

Otras definiciones de los phrasal verbs

Como menciono en el video, estos phrasal verbs tienen otros usos. El video da los usos más comunes, pero estos otros los conoce todo el mundo.
Así es el inglés…
Turn up = aparecer.
Turn down = rechazar.
Turn on = excitar a alguien. (Tema de otro nuevo video: cómo hablar de la atracción física)
Turn off = crear rechazo en alguien (lo contrario del phrasal verb anterior).
Turn around = dar un vuelco, cambiar para mejor.
Turnover = En negocios, puede ser varias cosas como sustantivo – entre ellas el remplazo de empleados.


http://madridingles.net/phrasal-verbs-turn/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Los 10 phrasal verbs con "take" más útiles y cómo usarlos



Take after

Parecerse a alguien
  • Mike takes after his mother; they both have the same blue eyes and blond hair.
  • Mike se parece a su madre, ambos tienen los mismos ojos azules y pelo rubio.
  • Sarah is a very sociable person. She takes after her father; he is always inviting people over.
  • Sarah es una persona muy sociable. Se parece a su padre, que siempre está invitando a gente a casa.

Take apart

Desmontar algo en sus diferentes partes
  • I am taking apart my old mobile phone to build something new with its parts.
  • Estoy desmontando mi móvil viejo para construir algo nuevo con sus partes.

Take away

Llevarse o quitar algo
  • Could you take away this old chair? I don't want it anymore.
  • ¿Puedes llevarte esta silla vieja? Yo ya no la quiero.
  • If your grades don't improve, we'll have to take away your telephone
  • Si tus notas no mejoran, tendremos que quitarte el teléfono

Take care of

Cuidar de alguien
  • Can you take care of Anna tonight?
  • ¿Podrías cuidar de Anna hoy?
Asumir la responsabilidad de algo
  • Don't worry about the project - I'll take care of it.
  • No te preocupes por el proyecto, yo me haré cargo de él.

Take down

Bajar algo
  • Could you take the trash down for me? I'm not dressed
  • ¿Puedes bajarme la basura? No estoy vestido.
Tomar apuntes o notas
  • I took down a lot of notes during the meeting. I will send them to you tomorrow.
  • Tomé muchas notas durante la reunión. Te las pasaré mañana.

Take off

Quitarse algo
  • I took my jacket off and left it on the coat hanger.
  • Me quité la chaqueta y la dejé en el perchero.
Descontar
  • I broke a keyboard and they took it off my salary.
  • Rompí un teclado y me lo descontaron del sueldo.
Despegar
  • My plane takes off at nine, so I should be at the airport at seven.
  • Mi avión despega a las nueve, así que debería estar en el aeropuerto a las siete.

Take on

Encargarse de algo
  • When my teammate left, I took on his responsibilities.
  • Cuando mi compañero de equipo se fue, me encargué de sus responsabilidades.
Contratar a alguien
  • A very important international company took on María last Monday.
  • Una empresa internacional muy importante contrató a María el lunes pasado.

Take over

Asumir o encargarse de algo
  • I would like John to take over the social media project from now on.
  • Me gustaría que John se encargara del proyecto de medios sociales a partir de ahora.
Reemplazar o sustituir a alguien
  • Mike will take over from Silvia until she is back from maternity leave.
  • Mike reemplazará a Silvia hasta que vuelva de su baja de maternidad.

Take back

Devolver o retomar algo
  • The sweater I bought was too small, so I took it back to the store.
  • El jersey que compré era demasiado pequeño, así que lo devolví a la tienda.

Take up

Ocupar espacio o tiempo
  • My new responsibilities as a project manager are taking up most of my time.
  • Mis nuevas responsabilidades como gestor de proyectos ocupan la mayoría de mi tiempo.
Empezar a hacer alguna actividad regular
  • I am taking up meditation.
  • Voy a empezar a meditar.

Post relacionados:




https://whatsup.es/blog/los-10-phrasal-verbs-con-take-mas-utiles-y-como-usarlos
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Phrasal Verbs with TAKE
1. be taken abackto be shocked
  • I’d been taken aback by his behaviour at first, but it didn’t seem so shocking later on.
2. take after somebodyresemble a parent (looks or behaviour)
  • I take after my mother; I have the same hair colour and the same green eyes. Who do you take after?
3. take awayremove something from somebody / subtract (mathematics)/ carry food home from a restaurant
  • Dad! Josh wants to take away my doll. Come and help me!
  • If you have five apples and take away two, you’re left with three.
  • A sandwich and a large Coke to take away, please.
4. take away from somethingmake the value of something seem less
  • The fact that she’d cheated in the exam took away from her achievements.
5. take something apartto disassemble
  • I think you should take the keyboard apart to clean it properly.
6. take something backto say that you don’t really mean what you’ve said or written
  • Okay, okay, I’ll take it back. You’re not the worst singer I’ve ever heard.
7. take downseparate the pieces of a structure / write down
  • We’ll have to take down the cupboard if we want to paint the walls.
  • My colleague will show you the flat while I take down your personal details.
8. take for somethingto regard as
  • I don’t like being taken for an idiot.
  • I won’t take no for an answer.
9. take ingive home to somebody / notice, absorb (and understand) / make clothes tighter/ to deceive
  • Last week I took in a kitten and she’s already the queen of the house.
  • I took in every word he said. It was an amazing speech.
  • I’ll have this dress taken in at the waist, it’s too big.
  • I’m easily taken in, so please don’t lie to me.




10. take offremove clothing / remove hair (at the hairdresser’s) / airplane begins to fly/ to leave/ to become successful
  • You don’t have to take off your shoes, just go right ahead.
  • Can you take off just a little at the back, please?
  • The plane took off twenty minutes late, but landed on time.
  • They took off in the middle of the party.
  • My career took off immediately after I’d graduated.
11. take onaccept a job, responsibility / to employ, hire somebody
  • I can’t take on any extra work, I’m too busy.
  • They want to take on ten more assistants.
12. take overgain control
  • You can stop now, I’ll take over from here.
  • Unfortunately, my company was taken over by a multinational firm and I lost my job.
13. take outinvite and go out with someone (to a restaurant, theater, disco etc) / to obtain some service/ get money from your bank account/ to kill somebody
  • George is taking me out to dinner tonight.
  • I had to take out a loan to start my business.
  • Let’s stop at the ATM. I need to take out some money.
  • The serial killer was taken out by snipers.
14. take (it) out on somebodymake someone feel bad, because you are feeling bad too
  • Hey, I understand that you’ve had a horrible day, but don’t take it out on me.
15. take somebody through somethingto explain something in detail to somebody
  • I hope the instructions were clear. I can take you through it again if you want.
16. take toto start liking/ to make a habit
  • I’d been worried whether my dog would get on well with the new puppy. I shouldn’t have worried- he took to it immediately.
  • I’ve taken to drinking my coffee black- I’d like to lose weight.
17. take upstart a new sport, hobby, school subject / fill space (or time)/ start again, resume
  • When I’m fluent in English, I’ll take up Spanish lessons.
  • This cupboard takes up too much space, I don’t want it in my living-room.
  • We took up where we had left off.
18. take somebody up on somethingaccept an offer
  • You’re always welcome to stay with us when you’re in Paris.
  • Thank you, I’ll take you up on that the next time I come to France.
19. take something up with somebodymention something in order to seek help from somebody
  • Why don’t you take the matter up with your local MP (Member of Parliament)? I’m sure he or she could help.

https://www.myenglishteacher.eu/blog/most-common-phrasal-verbs-with-take/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  • take after somebody = look or behave like somebody.
    He really takes after his father.
  • take something apart = separate something into its different parts.
    He's always taking things apart.
  • take something apart = search a place thoroughly.
    The police took the house apart looking for clues.
  • take somebody/something away = take away somebody/something = remove somebody/something.
    The waiter took away the plates before we had finished.
  • take something back = take back something = admit that you were wrong to say something.
    I'm sorry, I should take back that remark.
  • take something down = take down something = write down quickly.
    Can you take some details down?
  • take something in = take in something = understand, absorb something new.
    I'm reading this essay but I can't take it in.
  • take somebody in = take in somebody = deceive somebody.
    Don't be taken in by street vendors.
  • take somebody in = take in somebody = let somebody stay in your house.
    She's always taking in stray cats.
  • take off = (aircrafts) rise into the air.
    The plane took off on time.
  • take off = start being successful.
    Helen's career took off when she began working in tourism.
  • take something off = take off something = remove a piece of clothing.
    He took off his shoes before entering the house.
  • take somebody off = take off somebody = imitate somebody.
    She took off the teacher and everyone laughed.
  • take somebody on = take on somebody = hire somebody.
    We need to take on more employees.
  • take something on = take on something = be responsible for something.
    He took on too much work and now he has little free time.
  • take something over = take over something = take control of something.
    His real intention was to take over the company.
  • take to somebody/something = start to like somebody/something, develop something as a habit.
    As soon as he met her, he took to her.
  • take something up = take up something = become interested in a new activity.
    When he was on holidays, he took up a new hobby.
  • take something up = take up something = accept an idea or suggestion.
    They took up the invitation and will come for dinner tomorrow.
  • take something up = take up something = continue something.
    Please take up the story where you left off.
 http://www.saberingles.com.ar/idioms/phrasalverbs/take.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Phrasal Verbs con TAKE



Below we have a list of Phrasal verbs that begin with TAKE and then an explanation of each one with some examples.
  • Take after (somebody)
  • Take apart
  • Take back
  • Take down
  • Take in
  • Take off
  • Take on
  • Take out
  • Take over
  • Take up
This is not a complete list. We will add more Phrasal Verbs with TAKE when we can.

Take after (somebody)

(to resemble somebody else, usually a family member)
  • Mark is so hot-headed. He takes after his father.

Take apart

(to disassemble something)
  • He took his laptop apart to see if he could fix its problem.

Take back

(to admit wrongdoing)
  • You're right - I take back what I said, it was totally inappropriate.

Take down

(to dismantle)
  • It's time to take down the Christmas tree until next year.

Take (somebody) in

(to allow someone to stay in your house)
  • They took in the refugees while they found a more permanent place to stay.
(to be deceived or swindled)
  • She was taken in by all his lies.

Take (something) in

(to observe something)
  • They took in every detail to tell their friends about it later.
(to make a piece of clothing narrower or tighter)
  • She had lost weight so the dress had to be taken in more at the waist.

Take off

(to leave the ground and fly)
  • The plane was able to take off once the runway was clear.
  • When does the plane take off?
(to become popular or successful)
  • That new song by Samantha Star has really taken off in the charts.
(to leave a place quickly - colloquial)
  • Sorry, but I have to take off now since my partner is waiting for me at the restaurant.

Take on

(to hire/employ)
  • The department store took on more staff over the busy Christmas period.

Take out

(to remove)
  • The robber took out his gun and shot the guard in the bank.
  • He took the onion out of the sandwich because he doesn't like it.
(to go on a date with someone)
  • Where is he taking you out? - We're going to that new restaurant on Woodward street.

Take over

(to take control of something)
  • Fabio Capello has taken over as the new manager of the football team.

Take up

(to begin a sport, hobby or a challenge)
  • He took up karate at a young age and is now an expert.
(to fill space)
  • That sofa takes up a lot of space in the living room.


This is not the complete list. We will add more Phrasal Verbs with TAKE when we can.

http://www.vocabulary.cl/Advanced/Phrasal_Verbs/take.htm

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Phrasal Verbs using 'take' (part 1)


‘Take’ appears in many phrasal verbs. Here are several uses of the verb. In the future, we will be looking at other examples, but first try and memorise these.
Take up- to begin or start a new hobby.
‘He took up jogging after his doctor advised him to get some exercise.’
‘He took jogging up after his doctor told him to get some exercise.’
Take out – To remove something to outside
Take out the rubbish when you leave.’
Take the rubbish out when you leave.’
Take in – To understand or comprehend something.
‘Sarah couldn’t take in all the information at the meeting.’
Take after– To have a similar character or personality to a family member.
‘In my family, I take after my mother. We have the same eyes and nose.’
Take back (something) – To return something.
‘Could you take this book back to the library for me?’
‘Could you take back this book to the library for me?’
Take off (something) – To remove something, usually an items clothing or accessories
‘In Japan people take off their shoes when they enter a house.’
‘In Japan people take their shoes off when they enter a house.’
Take on – To employ someone or to be employed.
‘The restaurant takes on extra staff in the summer.’
https://www.ecenglish.com/learnenglish/take-phrasal-verbs
--------------------------------------------------------------------
take aback - desconcertar, sorprender
  • The news took me aback and I couldn't say a word. 
    La noticia me sorprendió y no pude decir una sola palabra.
take after - parecerse a
  • If you meet Mickey you'll realize that he's taken after his father. 
    Si conoces a Mickey te darás cuenta de que es muy parecido a su padre.
take along - llevar consigo
  • When you come to the party please take along the camera. 
    Cuando vengas a la fiesta por favor trae la cámara.
take apart - (a) destrozar, dar una paliza (b) desmontar
  • Donald took Martin apart. You should have seen the competition! 
    Donald derrotó a Martin. ¡Deberías haber visto la competencia!
  • The bomb squad tried to take the bomb apart this morning. 
    El escuadrón antibombas intentó desmantelar una bomba esta mañana.
take around - visitar un lugar con alguien mostrándole los lugares más interesantes
  • Sarah can take you around the city if you have time for a little walk. 
    Sarah puede llevarte a visitar la ciudad si tienes tiempo para una pequeña caminata.
take aside - llevar aparte, llevar a un lado
  • Ross took Angela aside and told her she should accept the offer. 
    Ross llevó a Angela a un lado y le dijo que debería aceptar la oferta.
take away - llevarse, quitar
  • Sue doesn't like nuts, so she took them away and ate her piece of cake. 
    A Sue no le gustan las nueces, por eso las sacó y comió su porción de torta.
take back - devolver, retomar, retirar
  • Take back that book as soon as possible, many students need it.
    Devuelve ese libro lo antes posible, muchos alumnos lo necesitan.
take care of - cuidar
  • I would appreciate if you could take care of Mickey tonight. 
    Te agradecería que pudieras cuidar a Mickey esta noche.
take down - (a) bajar (b) tomar nota
  • Could you take that box down the shelf? I can't reach it. 
    ¿Podrías bajar esa caja del estante? Yo no llego a tomarla.
  • The students took down a lot of notes on that subject. 
    Los alumnos tomaron un montón de apuntes sobre ese tema.
take for - tomar por
  • What do you take me for? I won't lie to Jane. 
    ¿Por quién me tomas? Yo no le voy a mentir a Jane
take in - (a) asimilar (b) comprender (c) achicar
  • Susan can't take in the fact that her boyfriend has lied to her. 
    Susan no puede asimilar que su novio le haya mentido.
  • There was so much noise that I couldn't take your explanation in
    Había tanto ruido que no pude entender tu explicación.
  • You can wear my dress, but you will need to take in the hem. 
    Puedes usar mi vestido, pero tendrás que achicarle el ruedo.
take off - (a) quitar(se) (b) descontar (c) despegar (d) imitar
  • took my coat off and put it in the closet but now it's gone!
    ¡Me quité el abrigo y lo puse en el armario pero ahora no está!
  • I got to the office five minutes late and they took it off my salary.
    Llegué cinco minutos tarde a la oficina y me lo dsecontaron del salairo.
  • The plane takes off at seven, we have plenty of time for a drink. 
    El avión despega a las siete, tenemos tiempo de sobra para tomar algo.
  • Jerry is so good at taking off Jack Nicholson. 
    Jerry es muy bueno imitando a Jack Nicholson.
take on - (a) encargarse de (b) contratar
  • When my mother left us, I took on looking after my little sister.
    Cuando mi mamá nos dejó, yo me encargué de cuidar a mi hermanita.
  • Chuck was taken on by a very important company las week.
    Chuck fue contratado por una empresa muy importante la semana pasada.
take out - (a) quitar (b) invitar a una fiesta, etc (c) of - hacer que alguien se sienta 
muy cansado (d) on - desquitarse con
  • Take out your shoes if you want to rest in my bed. 
    Sácate los zapatos si quieres descansar en mi cama.
  • Let me take you out for dinner. 
    Permíteme que te invite a cenar.
  • Can you drive? The trip's taken it out of Tom and he needs to rest. 
    ¿Sabes manejar? El viaje ha cansado muchísimo a Tom y necesita un descanso.
  • Al was upset about breaking up with Jo and he took it out on me.
    Al estaba molesto por haber terminado con Jo y se desquitó conmigo.
take over - (a) asumir, encargarse de (b) from - reemplazar a alguien
  • I would like the architect to take over the project if you don't mind. 
    Me gustaría que el arquitecto se encargue del proyecto si no te molesta.
  • Jenny will take over from John until his recovery. 
    Jenny reemplazará a John mientras él se repone.
take through - explicarle algo a alguien o mostrarle cómo se hace algo
  • It's easy to handle this machine, I'll take you through how you do it. 
    Verás qué facil es utilizar esta máquina, te mostraré cómo se hace.
take to - encariñarse con alguien, aficionarse a
  • Alice took to Paul from the moment she met him. 
    Alice se encariñó con Paul desde el momento en que lo conoció.
take up - (a) continuar (b) ocupar tiempo-espacio (c) arrestar (d) comenzar, emprender (e) on - aceptar una oferta (f) with - hacerse amigo de alguien, juntarse con alguien
  • Sorry about the interruption, I will take the story up in a minute. 
    Perdón por la interrupción, continuaré con la historia en un minuto.
  • The piano takes up too much space. We'll move it somewhere else.
    El piano ocupa demasiado espacio. Lo vamos a cambiar de lugar.
  • Sam was taken up by mistake. 
    Sam fue arrestado por error.
  • I think I would like to take up a secretary course. 
    Creo que me gustaría comenzar un curso de secretaria.
  • Has Mary thought of taking up on the job? 
    ¿Ha pensado Mary en aceptar la oferta de trabajo?.
  • You won't believe it, but Robert has taken up with Sally's sister. 
    No lo vas a creer, pero Robert se ha juntado con la hermana de Sally.
take upon - atreverse a hacer algo
  • Frank finally took upon to go and talk to Wendy. 
    Finalmente Frank se atrevió a ir a hablarle a Wendy.
http://www.shertonenglish.com/resources/es/phrasal-verbs/phrasals-take.php
-------------------------------------------------------------------


18 Phrasal Verbs With “Take”


Learn English phrasal verbs with take
The plane took off at 6:15 PM.

Take After Somebody

Have a similar appearance or personality (especially a relative)
  • She takes after her mother – they have the same green eyes and curly brown hair.
  • John is such a funny person. He takes after his grandfather, who was a comedian.

Take Something Apart

Separate something into parts
  • The technician is taking apart the TV so that he can fix it.

Take Something Back

1) Return something to a store:
  • The jeans I bought were too small, so I took them back and exchanged them for a larger size.
2) Admit that something you said was wrong:
  • I’m sorry I said you were stupid. I take it back.

Take Something Down

1) Separate a structure into parts
  • After the circus was over, the workers took down the big tents.
2) Write information on paper
  • She took down my address and phone number and said she’d call me later.

Take Somebody In

To let somebody stay in your house
  • My friend lost his job and his apartment, so I took him in for a month.

Take Something In

1) Receive and understand information
  • The instructor spoke so fast that I couldn’t take in all the information.
2) Make clothing smaller so that it fits you
  • I love this dress, but it’s a little too loose. Could you take it in an inch?

Take Off

1) An airplane leaving the ground and going up into the air
  • What time does the plane take off?
2) Become successful or popular very fast
  • In the last few years, social media sites have taken off all over the world.
3) Leave a place suddenly (informal)
  • He was at the party for about 15 minutes, and then he took off.

Take Something Off

1) Remove a piece of clothing from your body
  • I always take off my shoes as soon as I get home.
2) Not go to work for a period of time
  • Jamie took three days off to go skiing in the mountains

Take Something On

Accept some work or responsibility
  • Do you have time to take on a new project?

Take Somebody On

1) Hire or employ somebody
  • The company has taken on three new staff members.
2) Fight or compete against somebody
  • In tonight’s boxing match, Antonio will take on an undefeated boxer from Argentina.

Take Somebody Out

Go with somebody to a restaurant or movie and pay for their food or ticket
  • I’m taking my girlfriend out to dinner on our anniversary.

Take Something Out

Remove something from a place
  • took the letter out of the envelope.

Take Something Out On Somebody

Treat an innocent person badly because you are tired or angry about something else
  • Hey, I know you had a terrible day at work – but don’t take it out on me!

Take Over Something

Take control
  • Germany took over several other countries during World War II.

Take Somebody Through Something

Explain something to somebody in detail
  • Let me take you through the procedure for operating this machine. First, you need to…

Take Up Something

1) Fill space or time
  • These books are taking up all the space in my room.
  • I’m working on an urgent project that’s taking up all my spare time.
2) Start doing something regularly
  • I’ve recently taken up yoga.

Take Somebody Up On Something

Accept an offer or invitation
  • “When you travel to China, you’re welcome to stay at my house.”
    “Really? I might take you up on that!”

Take Something Up With Somebody

Complain to someone about a problem
  • If you don’t like the way I do my job, take it up with my manager.

https://www.espressoenglish.net/18-phrasal-verbs-with-take/




-------------------------------------------------------------------

PHRASAL VERBS CON EL VERBO TAKE

  1. Take aback: Sorprenderse.
  2. Take after: Desear ser parecido a, seguir el ejemplo de.
  3. Take along: Llevar, traer.
  4. Take apart: Desmontar, romper, dar una paliza.
  5. Take around: Llevar a alguien a visitar algún lugar.
  6. Take aside: Llevar aparte, entregar aparte.
  7. Take away: Llevarse, quitar, apartar
  8. Take back: Devolver, regresar, recordar.
  9. Take care: Tener cuidado, cuidarse.
  10. Take care of: Cuidar de algo o alguien.
  11. Take down: Bajar, tomar nota.
  12. Take in: Asimilar, comprender.
  13. Take note of: Tomar nota de algo.

https://www.saberespractico.com/ingles/phrasal-verbs-take/
-------------------------------------------------------------------

https://www.usingenglish.com/reference/phrasal-verbs/
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Phrasal Verb TAKE


TAKE AFTER = resemble a parent - similar to

Most people say I take after my father. I look a lot like him.

TAKE AROUND = introduce, show

Let me take you around to those you don't know.

TAKE AWAY = A. remove B. leave (mentally, in your mind)

A. Mother took the toys away from the children for misbehaving.
B. The smell of coconut oil took me away to a tropical island.

TAKE BACK = A. retract sth said B. return sth to a store, exchange

A. The politician tried to take back what he said to the press.
B. The gift I received didn't fit, so I took it back and exchanged it for sth else.

TAKE DOWN = A. write what is spoken, keep notes B. remove

A. The secretary took down the minutes of the meeting
B. The building owners had to take down the wifi tower on top of their building.

TAKE FOR = consider, view

Don't take him for an idiot... he's actually quite smart.

TAKE IN = A. learn B. deceive C. make smaller D. watch

A. Many students have difficulties taking in all these phrasal verbs.
B. She was taken in by the smooth talking salesman.
C. The tailor took in my jacket after I lost weight.
D. Let's take in a movie sometime.

TAKE OFF = A. launch plane or rocket B. remove C. leave work for some time D. leave

A. The rocket took off with a loud blast and cloud of smoke.
B. "Take off your shoes, I just vacuumed," said mother.
C. I took a few days off of work last week as I was a bit sick.
D. We took off after the last bell rang.

TAKE ON = accept responsibilities

She has taken on more than she can handle I'm afraid.

TAKE OVER = take control of

Mike took over the family business when his father retired.

TAKE OUT = A. date, court B. kill C. remove

A. I am taking Jill out to a movie tonight.
B. The mob ordered a hit on three fingers Tony. They are going to take him out.
C. He had to take out the garbage after dinner.

TAKE TO = A. like B. adjust naturally

A. She has really taken to John since she's been here visiting.
B. The baby ducks took to the water like, well, ducks to water.

TAKE UP = A. begin a hobby B. discuss at later time C. shorten a garment D. occupy space

A. "Who took up archery? I see the bow and arrows over there."
B. This should be taken up at the next meeting.
C. "She's nuts! She wants her mini skirt taken up."
D. "He takes up too much space. Do we have to share a room?"

http://www.advanced-english-grammar.com/phrasal-verb-take.html
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Phrasal verbs with take exercise

Each sentence given below contains an incomplete phrasal verb. Complete the expression by supplying a suitable preposition or adverb particle. Choose your answer from the options given in the brackets.
1. She takes ………………… .. her grandmother. (after / off / in)
2. They assaulted the watchmen and took many precious paintings ………………… . (down / away / back)
3. These shoes don’t fit. I am going to take them ………………… .. to the store. (back / away / off)
4. Don’t take him ………………….. an idiot. (for / in / off)
5. The dress was loose for me so I took it to the tailor and got it taken ………………… (in / off / down)
6. Please take your shoes ………………… .. before entering the temple. (down / off / away)
7. How are you going to meet the deadlines if you take ………………… . too many projects? (on / in / over)
8. If you love Susie why don’t you take her ………………… . on a date? (out / up / off)
9. He took ………………… farming after retirement. (up / in / on)
10. We will take this issue ………………… . when we meet next week. (up / on / over)
Answers
1. She takes after her grandmother. (= She resembles her grandmother.)
2. They assaulted the watchmen and took many precious paintings away. (To take something away is to seize it by force.)
3. These shoes don’t fit. I am going to take them back to the store.
4. Don’t take him for an idiot. (To take somebody for an idiot is to assume that he/she is an idiot.)
5. The dress was loose for me so I took it to the tailor and got it taken in. (To take a dress in is to make it smaller when sewing.)
6. Please take your shoes off before entering the temple.
7. How are you going to meet the deadlines if you take on too many projects? (To take on is to accept responsibilities/work etc.)
8. If you love Susie why don’t you take her out on a date?
9. He took up farming after retirement. (To take up is to begin as a hobby.)
10. We will take this issue up when we meet next week.(To take up an issue is to discuss it.)
https://www.englishgrammar.org/phrasal-verbs-exercise-8/
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Quiz: Phrasal Verbs - Take

Quiz: Phrasal Verbs - Take

Topic: Phrasal Verbs
Level: Intermediate
Instructions: Choose the correct preposition, etc.
Q1 - He looks like his mother; he takes ...... her
Q2 - Do you take me ......... an idiot?
Q3 - The plane couldn't take ...... because of the snow

https://www.usingenglish.com/quizzes/205.html
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Verbs using 'take' 

‘Take’ appears in many phrasal verbs. Here are several uses of the verb. In the future, we will be looking at other examples, but first try and memorise these.
Take up- to begin or start a new hobby.
‘He took up jogging after his doctor advised him to get some exercise.’
‘He took jogging up after his doctor told him to get some exercise.’
Take out – To remove something to outside
Take out the rubbish when you leave.’
Take the rubbish out when you leave.’
Take in – To understand or comprehend something.
‘Sarah couldn’t take in all the information at the meeting.’
Take after– To have a similar character or personality to a family member.
‘In my family, I take after my mother. We have the same eyes and nose.’
Take back (something) – To return something.
‘Could you take this book back to the library for me?’
‘Could you take back this book to the library for me?’
Take off (something) – To remove something, usually an items clothing or accessories
‘In Japan people take off their shoes when they enter a house.’
‘In Japan people take their shoes off when they enter a house.’
Take on – To employ someone or to be employed.
‘The restaurant takes on extra staff in the summer.’
Now try and complete the sentences using one of the above phrasal verbs. Remember to use the correct form.

  • If we don't take this DVD  to the store today, we will have to pay a fine.
  • On my street, we  our garbage on Thursday nights.
  • I was  by the company after they saw I had good experience.
  • In your family, who do you most ?
  • Jenny  her make-up off before she went to bed.
  • Her father took golf  after he retired.
  • Are you  what I am saying?

https://www.ecenglish.com/learnenglish/take-phrasal-verbs
--------------------------------------------------------------------
ONLINE ENGLISH GRAMMAR QUIZ 
topic: PHRASAL VERBS using "TO TAKE" | level: Advanced

Choose the correct preposition to complete each of the following sentences: 


1. The plane took ________ ( = departed) at 7:00 AM.
  on
  off
  in

2. They took ________ ( = saw) a play while they were in New York.
  on
  away
  in

3. He took ________ ( = started) smoking after his accident.
  on
  up
  away

4. They will have to take ________ ( = compete against) another opponent.
  on
  up
  after

https://www.learnenglishfeelgood.com/phrasal-verbs-take1.html
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Phrasal Verbs Exercises By Verb: Take

For each space in each sentence, use the verb Take (in the correct tense) with one of the prepositions from the box. Sometimes you need to put the object/pronoun between the main verb and the preposition - in these cases, the object/pronoun can be found in the brackets.

Off
For
Up
Out
In
After
Back
Off
Aback
On
Down
Through

1. Don't be  if I start talking in my sleep. I've done it since I was a small child and the doctors say it's harmless.
2. If you don't  what you said to my wife, I will have to sack you. She was hugely offended.
3. I was busy  my father and making everyone laugh when he entered the room. I didn't see him and continued my impersonation. So embarrassing!
4. The car didn't stop at the scene of the accident but fortunately, someone managed to  the number and the police are looking for the vehicle now.
5. If you  tennis, you will feel healthier and get to meet new people too.
6. The old woman was  by the tricksters who said they were there to check for a gas leak, but then stole the woman's silver collection.

http://www.esl-lounge.com/student/phrasal-verbs/4pv25-take.php
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Phrasal verb Take



1. The robbers took the house  looking for money and valuables. 

2. I know, he is charming, but don't be taken  by him, he is not sincere. 

3. Christmas is already over and we have to take  all the Christmas decorations. What a pity! 
https://www.tolearnenglish.com/exercises/exercise-english-2/exercise-english-81000.php
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Everyday English: Dictation Practice to Learn Phrasal Verbs & Pronunciation


Everyday English Pronunciation

The disappearing “H” in English
When we use the pronouns her (and him) in a sentence, we drop the “H” sound and link it with the previous word. So, in the video you heard:
I can tell her
However, it sounded like:
Ikin teller
tell her = teller
This will happen with other sentences/phrases with her (and again, him). Other examples could be:
I love her = Iluver
Call her = caller
Tell him = tellum
I’ll pay him = I’ll payum


https://www.englishoutsidethebox.com/2017/04/25/phrasalverbs-pronunciation/
--------------------------------------------------------------------


--------------------------------------------------------------------



--------------------------------------------------------------------


--------------------------------------------------------------------

Comentarios

Entradas populares de este blog

ACTIONS

ACTIONS Vocabulary:  Run, climb, eat, fly…so on Grammar:   It was the third class of the last period. I was impressed because until now I realized that we had changed, I mean we are not the same students that started the semester. We are focusing in being good teachers and how to keep the attention of our students in us. The class started with Raul which got my attention because he demonstrated that he is a good teacher. He started with a warm up in which he sang the “Hello” song· He asked SS to do different movements according what he was doing. For example, when he said “happy” they had to jump in order to demonstrate how happy they were. I loved the way that he did it because he did it many times in order to internalize the new hello version song.  Also he did clear instructions. After the warm up. Raul asked them to pick up their own names and show the picture that was inside. For example, Imelda`s name has a grandmother. Everybody participated and they w

Fortune teller game

LINK: http://english-zone.com/members/teach/futurefortunes.pdf http://www.stevevalentine.com/uploads/2/1/6/7/21677538/fortune_telling_with_playing_cards.pdf http://www.labirintoermetico.com/02Tarocchi/Foli_P_R_S_Fortune_Telling_by_Cards.pdf Fortune Telling Playing Cards First things first, the suits (Hearts, Clubs, Spades, and Diamonds) are associated with the four elements, as follows: Hearts – Water Clubs – Fire Diamonds – Earth Spades – Air What Each Playing Card Means: Ace of Hearts  Love and happiness. The home, a love letter. This card is a particularly favorable card that indicates troubles and problems lifting. King of Hearts  A fair-haired man with a good nature; or a man with Water signs predominating in his chart. Fair, helpful advice. Affectionate, caring man. This man helps you out without much talk. His actions reveal his kindness and concern. Queen of Hearts  A fair-haired woman with a good nature; or a woman with Water signs

relative pronouns

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ https://en.islcollective.com/resources/printables/worksheets_doc_docx/relative_clauses/relative-clauses-intermediate/62339 https://en.islcollective.com/resources/printables/worksheets_doc_docx/relative_clauses/relative-clauses-relative/34838 https://en.islcollective.com/resources/printables/worksheets_doc_docx/relative_clauses/relative-clauses-preintermediate/19535 https://en.islcollective.com/resources/printables/worksheets_doc_docx/relative_clauses/relative-clauses-london/29171 https://en.islcollective.com/resources/